dimanche 7 février 2016

Switching to Fedora 23


My first post of February. Been a long time. I have been quite busy preparing for my new job.

I've switched from Debian to Fedora Core 23 as my main on my personal laptop.

A few things that i had to adapt to on the way...

Yum...mmm - Package Manager ==> DNF

No more apt-get. We're yumming everything now. Btw yum is obsolete now. We're dnfing it out.

Well, you're still allowed to yum it out but it passes the commands to dnf automatically. So, I

switched to the more powerful and intelligent dnf. 

dnf syntax is easy - same as every other package manager i would say.

#dnf install PACKAGENAME


But why was yum crushed and thrown to oblivion ?

1. Undocumented Yum API

- Because of this, all ongoing development to yum, was very slow. Developers like you and I, when we saw bugs on yum, were like 'huh...broken package manager. sad. Lets try another distro'

Soon, maybe i'll get a patch to dnf's tree. Already seen a few annoying bugs :-(

2. Python 3

- Here comes the good part. Fedora moved to native python 3. yum was doomed. DNF supports both Python 2 and 3.

So yeah, yum had to go.

What we're now getting using the yum command is a warning :

Yum command has been deprecated, redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf install api'.
See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information.
To transfer transaction metadata from yum to DNF, run:
'dnf install python-dnf-plugins-extras-migrate && dnf-2 migrate'


OpenStack


Openstack public cloud recommended Ubuntu or Fedora/RedHat. I've already tried ubuntu, but been a long time since i used Fedora. So why not?
I'm trying out a few mini images.
I'll post about OpenStack once i get the hang of it.


Fedora - Resource consumption - 

Fedora's resource management is impressive. My laptop's uptime is 8-10 hours of usage when on battery. I used to clock around 5 hours max on my Debian machine.
+1 for Fedora


Fedora Representative

A few friends suggested that I become the Mauritius Fedora Representative, and that they would back me up too =) . So I gladly accepted.

Feel free to contact me for any questions on Fedora :-) 
My profile : https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Codarren


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire