dimanche 18 août 2013

Removing Stock firmware on my modem/router and putting Open Source 3rd party linux firmware

I got my own ADSL line separated from our family ADSL line. I got a cheap modem/router from a vendor in bagatelle. After doing some probing on the router I discovered that the stock firmware runs linux! However, it is an old version of the kernel.

I downloaded OpenWrt which is a third party open source firmware with the latest linux kernel.

I was able able to get it running in less than 5 minutes. Its very stable right now.

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/version Linux version 3.3.8 (blogic@Debian-60-squeeze-64-minimal) (gcc version 4.6.3 20120201 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.6-2012.02) ) #1 Sat Mar 23 16:49:30 UTC 2013 root@OpenWrt:~#

It runs kernel 3.3 awesome! :D

It also has ssh access.



My android phone is working over wifi pretty well.

1 commentaire:

  1. nice :-)

    I would like to get the password so that my android can connect on your wifi when i'm in the kitchen. That would be really helpful to me.

    //logan

    RépondreSupprimer